Thursday, February 21, 2013

To Prius or not to Prius? That is the question.

So, on Tuesday I got in my first car accident. It sucked. I won't get into it here because I've told the story eight million times and I don't want to anymore. But here is my car:



You can't really see it but the whole framework is smashed against my tires. (Sorry folks. I had to crop out the rest so you couldn't see my license plate number and stalk me. Come on. You know you would.)

This was not my fault. Some idiot kid hit me. Ruined my car and gave me whiplash. Awesome.

So I'm waiting to see if my car will be considered totaled or if they are going to fix it. I am trying to prepare for anything.

And I've wanted a Prius forever. There's one problem, though. I HATE Prius drivers. They are some of the worst, most reckless, rude drivers out there. (And before you think, "Well, I drive a Prius and I don't suck," just shut the comment off in your head. I know there are exceptions to every rule.)

So I talked myself into getting a Hyundai Sonata hybrid. Then the whole thing with Hyundai lying about their gas mileage came out. Check that off my list.

I thought about an electric car. Then I thought of all the ways I could get myself in trouble with that. Check that off my list.

Then I get into an accident and it's decided - if I have to get a car I'm getting a Prius.

Then Casey and her boyfriend Brandon come over last night because they want to take care of me and they're awesome. I tell them I'm getting a Prius.

I get a look. And comments about how all Prius drivers suck.

AHHHH!!! I'm back to square one. 

Do I want to be a sucky Prius driver? I'm pretty convinced that I am good driver as I've lived over half my life without an accident and the one I did have was someone else's fault. I don't think suddenly driving a Prius will make me a bad driver.

But Brandon came up with a good point - people buy a Prius because of the status.

Well, here are my reasons:
- I like the Earth and I want to keep it.
- I live VERY far away from work and gas is expensive.
- I live in LA and would be very happy if I could use the carpool lane.

None of those have to do with status. But do I want to be clumped in with a bunch of status-obsessed awful drivers?

Oy. What's a girl to do? 

And who knows if I even have to make this decision!

Accidents are too much stress. 

UPDATE: My car is getting fixed. The question can be shelved indefinitely.

2 comments:

  1. When you do buy a car, if you want a Prius, you should buy one unless you think driving one would actually turn you into "that guy."

    Pee Ess: I've wanted a Prius for forever. Creepy thing #283.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have known!!! That's it. When I do get a car I'm getting a Prius. Decision made!

    I will never be "that guy." Neither will you. I feel safe now.

    ReplyDelete