Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Refrigerator Fiasco

So, I have a very reluctant landlord. He bought the apartment building during the housing boom in the hopes to turn it around and sell it. Months later, the market crashed.

This makes my life very inconvenient.

Well, the refrigerator the apartment came with must be from the 1980's. There was a huge gash down the side. And the most charming part? Every few months the smell of death would emanate from it.

The smell was so bad the last time that I wanted to get a hotel room.



We have complained about this multiple times.

FINALLY, a handyman and employee of said landlord happened to be there during a big stink and quickly recommended that he get us a new one. While he was trying not to gag.

So, of course (three months later) we get a new (well, used) refrigerator.

I am told four hours before the fridge is coming. I have to rush home and remove all of my food and my wonderful magnet collection from the refrigerator. I do so.

The new refrigerator comes. 45 minutes late while my food is melting in the sink.

My super wise, thorough landlord doesn't think to measure to make sure the old one can come out. It can't without some serious movement of the stove.

Oh, did I mention that he's not there for this? He comes in, meets the guy for about 18 seconds, then takes off and tells me to call if I need anything.

So, the guy has to move the stove. Which means he has to move everything in the dining room. While I sit there, trying not to stare.

Old fridge out, new (well used) fridge in. Guy gets it all placed. I look up.....

And immediately notice a big problem.

Super smart landlord didn't think to check the door placement. So now I have 50 pounds of melting food, a stove in my dining room, and a fridge that doesn't open. I also realize it's the loudest refrigerator in the world.

Rad.

My dear friend Evelyn thinks this is hilarious.

My quote to her? "I'm having a beer. Might as well. It can't go back in the fridge."

Gotta love my landlord.

No comments:

Post a Comment